Studio Ribbon Microphone
FOR HIRE AVAILABILITY
phone: (08) 8330 0427
Coles 4038 Studio Ribbon Microphone
The 4038 Studio Ribbon Microphone is a British Broadcasting (BBC) design for broadcasting and re- cording applications. It is used where a clear smooth wide range frequency response, absence of transient distortion and relatively high sensitivity is essential.
Frequency response of the 4038 is exceptionally flat from 30 to 20,000 Hz and throughout this range the shape of the bi-directional (figure of eight) polar response is maintained substantially constant both in the horizontal and vertical planes, giving a natural sonic quality with smooth frequency response.
AEA supplies each Coles 4038 microphone system in a rugged foam-lined plastic carrying case with stand adaptor. Selected “Matched” 4038s are also available. The standard output connector is the West- ern Electric type-4069. Four mounting options are available with the Coles 4038 from AEA. You can find out more at www.ribbonmics.com.
The 4038 is a proven performer, and is in use around the world by broadcasting networks such as the BBC as well as top engineers and studios on hit recordings.
- Polar response: Bi-directional (cosine, figure-eight)
- Impedance: 300-ohm
- Frequency response: 30 Hz to 20,000 Hz
- Sensitivity: -65dB re: 1 Volt/Pa
- Third Harmonic Distortion: 1% point at 1000Hz is 165 dB SPL, at 110 Hz is 125 dB SPL and at 55 Hz, the 1% point is 110 dB SPL.
- Connector: Western Electric type 4069
- Dimensions: 197 mm x 83 mm x 61 mm; 7 1/4” x 3 1/4” x 2 3/8”
- Weight: 1.08 Kg; 2 lb. 6 oz.
- Finish: Black textured enamel over heavy gauge brass; grille made of perforated brass plate, backed by monel mesh
- Hum rejection: Internal hum neutralizing balanced wiring coupled with magnetic shielding of the toroidal ribbon-to-microphone line transformer reduces response to stray magnetic fields by 30 to 40 dB.